The PS3 network is still down after Sony feared bringing it online again after hackers exposed some of the Sony data on the world wide wibble.
However, over the weekend hackers cracked into another Sony server and posted user data online. The data is ten years old and nothing to do with the PS3 network, however it looks really bad for Sony's clean-up operation.
Itseems that Sony is saying that the PlayStation Network is likely to remain switched off for several more days.
In a message posted on the Sony blog on Saturday, the company stated that it was still trying to make the PS3 network secure.
Sony said that it was working with outsiders to confirm the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. It said that comprehensive system checks and testing were still need and it had to complete that process before bringing the systems online.
Nick Caplin, the head of communications at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said that he thought that the network would be up again in a week. However he was unaware at the time of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers.
Over the weekend hackers, found the names and partial addresses of 2,500 people who entered a Sony sweepstake in 2001. After the details were discovered, Sony shut down the website where they had been posted, the company said.
PS3 players have been without a network for 16 days. Sony has promised a 'welcome back' package, comprising of a month's membership to the premium PlayStation Plus service, as well as a selection of free games.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.